Castles & Fortresses in Greece

25 Pins20 Followers
Spinalonga,Crete.Spinalonga is an arid and barren rocky islet with an area of 8.5 hectares lying at the mouth of the natural port of Elounda in the Lasithi prefecture of Crete. Due to its strategic location, it was fortified and served a variety of roles and purposes over the centuries.

Spinalonga is a small island near Elounda in East Crete. Spinalonga is also known as the Lepper Island

The castle of Amfissa, also known as castle of Salona or castle of Oria, is situated on a rocky hill at 225m altitude above the city of Amfissa in Central Greece, close to Delphi.

The Greek castle of Amfissa, also known as castle of Salona or castle of Oria, is situated on a rocky hill at altitude above the city of Amfissa in Central Greece, close to Delphi.

Aptera Castle, Crete. The archaeological site of Aptera, which was the most powerful city of western Crete during Minoan times, is located 15 kms from the city of Chania, Crete, just south of Souda Bay, on a hill above the national road which connects Chania and the city of Rethymnon. - See more at: http://www.chania-crete-greece.com/aptera-chania-crete. by nicnac1000, via Flickr

Aptera Castle, Crete. The archaeological site of Aptera, which was the most powerful city of western Crete during Minoan times, is located 15 kms from the city of Chania, Crete, just south of Souda Bay, on a hill above the national road which connects Chania and the city of Rethymnon. - See more at: http://www.chania-crete-greece.com/aptera-chania-crete. by nicnac1000, via Flickr

The “Acrocorinth” is the acropolis (citadel) of Corinth.  It is situated to the southwest of the ancient city and rises to an elevation of 1883 ft.  Today it is surrounded by walls that are about 1.8 mi. long.

The Acrocorinth

The “Acrocorinth” is the acropolis (citadel) of Corinth. It is situated to the southwest of the ancient city and rises to an elevation of 1883 ft. Today it is surrounded by walls that are about mi.

Lindos Castle, Rhodes. Built by the Knights of the Order of St. John, the site for the fort was chosen by the Crusaders for its great vantage point from the top, which afforded a clear 360 degree view of the sea below, allowing them to easily monitor the activities of the enemy and of the pirates.

Lindos is probably the most popular resort on the island of Rhodes, located on the east coast at about 47 km from the island's capital km from the airp

It is located at the top of the highest peak of the island's shoreline in the northwest coast near Palaiokastritsa and built on particularly precipitous and rocky terrain. It stands 1,000 ft (305 m) on a steep cliff above the sea and surveys the City of Corfu and the mountains of mainland Greece to the southeast and a wide area of Corfu toward the northeast and northwest.

Corfu attractions

There’s not much left inside compact castle Angelokastro in Corfu

Monastery of Saint John the Theologian, Patmos. Founded by Holy Christodoulos. In 1088 a gifted and educated monk called Christodoulos otherwise known as ‘Latrinos’ requested and was granted possession of all the island by the Byzantine Emperor Alexius I Comnenos to establish a Monastery in honour of Saint John the Evangelist and to transform the Cave of the Apocalypse into a sacred place. http://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/collection/patmos-monastery?museumview&projectId=art-project

Monastery of Saint John the Theologian ,Patmos island

The Castle of Ali Pasha is Located in the Municipality of Parga between the Villages of Anthousa and Agia. It was built in 1814 by the Ali Pasha of Ioannina during the siege of Parga.

The Castle of Ali Pasha is Located in the Municipality of Parga between the Villages of Anthousa and Agia. It was built in 1814 by the Ali Pasha of Ioannina during the siege of Parga.

The Venetians built the small fortress Bourtzi, located in the Argolic gulf  and close to Nafplio, in 1471. Bourtzi was originally part of the city's defenses, and thick chains ran from the castle to the mainland to prevent enemy ships from docking. Between 1865 and 1935 Bourtzi were the executioner’s residence.  Bourtzi, Nafplio, Greece. Sunset by june_godiva, via Flickr

The Venetians built the small fortress Bourtzi, located in the Argolic gulf and close to Nafplio, in 1471. Bourtzi was originally part of the city's defenses, and thick chains ran from the castle to the mainland to prevent enemy ships from docking. Between 1865 and 1935 Bourtzi were the executioner’s residence. Bourtzi, Nafplio, Greece. Sunset by june_godiva, via Flickr

The Grand Masters Palace was built below the Acropolis of Ancient Rhodes where originally the Temple of the Sun God stood. In the same place, in the 7th century, there was also a Byzantine Palace, and then in the 14th century the Knights of St John built the palace as the residence of the Grand Master as an administrative center. It was destroyed in 1856 by a large explosion of gunpowder that was hidden in the basement of the of St John Church.

The Grand Masters Palace was built below the Acropolis of Ancient Rhodes where originally the Temple of the Sun God stood. In the same place, in the 7th century, there was also a Byzantine Palace, and then in the 14th century the Knights of St John built the palace as the residence of the Grand Master as an administrative center. It was destroyed in 1856 by a large explosion of gunpowder that was hidden in the basement of the of St John Church.

Palamidi, Naphplio. The castle of Palamidi lies on a high hill (216m. a.s.l.) to the east of Acronauplia which was first fortified by the Venetians during the second Venetian occupation of the area (1686-1715). It is a typical baroque fortress, based on the plans of the engineers Giaxich and Lasalle. In 1715 it was captured by the Turks and remained under their control until 1822, when it was liberated by the Greeks.

Presentation of Fortress of Palamidi by gtp.

Asklipio Medieval Fort,Rhodes.The castle sits precariously atop the highest hill of the village and it is easily seen from the valley below and from the road.

The castle sits precariously atop the highest hill of the village and it is easily seen from the valley below and from the road.

Pinterest
Search