The church of St Dimitrios in the centre of Thessaloniki, close to the Roman Agora, is one of the most important monuments of the city. Initially it was a small temple, which was built on a Roman bath, where St Dimitrios was tortured.
The Villa Allatini was built in 1888 by the architect Vitaliano Poselli as the country residence of Allatini family. During the period it was used as house and prison of Sultan Ablul Hamid the whereas in 1926 it housed the University of Thessaloniki.
The church of Agia Sofia as well as the church of St Dimitrios and Achiropiitos are the most important early Christian monuments of Thessaloniki. The church has many similarities with Agia Sofia of Constantinople.
The Villa Mordoh was built by the architect Xenophon Paionidis in 1905 for the Turk commander Seifoulah Pasha. In 1923 was sold to the Shalom brothers and then to the Mordoh family and was inhabited until (EN)