Antonis Ergazos

Antonis Ergazos

0 followers
·
2 followers
Antonis Ergazos
More ideas from Antonis
Greek war poster; circa 1940.

A war poster illustrating a Cretan warrior with a caption in Greek that reads, "Many happy returns." This souvenir photo from Greece was sent to President Harry S. Truman by John Marangos, Editor of the Pancretan Union in America.

ΣΤΑΥΡΟΣ Ι. ΚΕΛΑΪΔΗΣ (1884-1964)

ΣΤΑΥΡΟΣ Ι. ΚΕΛΑΪΔΗΣ (1884-1964)

Greek guerilla fighters in Crete

Greek guerilla fighters in Crete - pin by Paolo Marzioli

George Psychoundakis was a Greek Resistance fighter on Crete during the Second World War. Psychoundakis and the other Cretans organised the rescue of hundreds of Allies, guiding them to a safe pickup and shipment to North Africa. During the postwar years he was at first mistakenly imprisoned as a deserter and wrote his memoirs which achieved worldwide success and finally he translated key classical texts into Cretan.

George Psychoundakis was a Greek Resistance fighter on Crete during the Second…

Greek partisans who fought German invaders during the battle of Crete (May 1941). This image has become a sort of anti-government mascot during the upheavals in the Greek economy since 2011.

Greek partisans who fought German invaders during the battle of Crete (May I visited a N.Greek village memorial for all the boys and men 11 years and older shot by the Germans in WWII for sabotage activities. Greeks were great fighters.

The Massacre of Kondomari refers to the execution of male civilians from the village of Kondomari in Crete by an ad hoc firing squad consisting of German paratroopers on 2 June 1941 during World War II. The shooting was the first of a long series of mass reprisals in Crete. It was orchestrated by Generaloberst Kurt Student, in retaliation for the participation of Cretans in the Battle of Crete which had ended with the surrender of the island only two days earlier.

The Massacre of Kondomari refers to the execution of male civilians from the village of Kondomari in Crete by a firing squad consisting of German paratroopers on June 1941