The Great Chicago Fire of 1871 began at Dekoven and Jefferson Street. In 1961, a bronze sculpture of stylized flames entitled "Pillar of Fire" was erected at this point of origin. Sculptor: Egon Weiner. At the base of the sculpture "Pillar of Fire" is written: Here began the Chicago Fire of 1871. The site was designated a Chicago Landmark on September 15, 1971.