The horses were spoils of war. They were captured from Constantinople in 1204 during the Fourth Crusade. Since the days of Constantine, they had stood harnessed to a chariot at the Hippodrome, while it was used as the racing stadium. For another eight centuries, they stood over the doors to St. Mark’s in Venice. Now, they’re protected inside a museum.