Lefkara lace. According to legend, Leonardo da Vinci visited the village in 1481, and purchased a lace cloth for the main altar of the Duomo di Milano. The lefkaritika style was probably imported to the village from antiquity from Assyria. Much later, the Venetians took it home, and set up their own lace industry on the island of Burano. In 1889 a local lace school was opened, and Lefkara lace regained much of its ancient renown.