Places to Visit in Corfu

Places to visit in Corfu
52 Pin75 Ακόλουθοι
The Achillion Palace - Situated around 10 km south of Corfu town in the village of Gastouri, above the resort of Benitses. The property was originally owned by Corfiot philosopher and diplomat Petros Vrailas Armenis and it was known as “Villa Vraila”. However during a visit in 1888 the Empress of Austria, Elisabeth of Bavaria, also known as Sissi, decided that it was the ideal location for her to build her palace in Corfu.

The Achillion Palace - Situated around 10 km south of Corfu town in the village of Gastouri, above the resort of Benitses. The property was originally owned by Corfiot philosopher and diplomat Petros Vrailas Armenis and it was known as “Villa Vraila”. However during a visit in 1888 the Empress of Austria, Elisabeth of Bavaria, also known as Sissi, decided that it was the ideal location for her to build her palace in Corfu.

The Glyfa bridge - Possibly unique in Corfu as to size and construction.(built ca. 1913) If Heading North it can be found between Barbati and Nissaki below the main coast road.

The Glyfa bridge - Possibly unique in Corfu as to size and construction.(built ca. 1913) If Heading North it can be found between Barbati and Nissaki below the main coast road.

The British Cemetery - From Corfu seafront to south of the old town and turn inland onto Alexandras Avenue, which is a big tree lined avenue. At the top of this is Place George Theotoki which contains a roundabout. From this roundabout take the Donatou Dimoulitsa road and then bear left onto Kolokotroni. Please note that if asking for directions that the locals commonly refer to the Cemetery as the “English Cemetery”.

The British Cemetery - From Corfu seafront to south of the old town and turn inland onto Alexandras Avenue, which is a big tree lined avenue. At the top of this is Place George Theotoki which contains a roundabout. From this roundabout take the Donatou Dimoulitsa road and then bear left onto Kolokotroni. Please note that if asking for directions that the locals commonly refer to the Cemetery as the “English Cemetery”.

Fantasia Traditional House - In the heart of the historic village of Agios Nikolaos lays a traditional house, open to the public with free admission. Within its stone walls you will find many interesting artefacts from religious icons to everyday items used by the villagers in days gone by.

Fantasia Traditional House - In the heart of the historic village of Agios Nikolaos lays a traditional house, open to the public with free admission. Within its stone walls you will find many interesting artefacts from religious icons to everyday items used by the villagers in days gone by.

Kaisers Throne - At the top of the village of Pelekas you will find the lookout point called Kaisers Throne, named after the German Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm II who purchased Achilleion palace in 1907 and spent his summers in Corfu.

Kaisers Throne - At the top of the village of Pelekas you will find the lookout point called Kaisers Throne, named after the German Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm II who purchased Achilleion palace in 1907 and spent his summers in Corfu.

Antinioti Lagoon or Limnothalassa Antinioti - situated on the North of the island off the main road towards the coast in the region of Thinalion. At the far end of the main beach at Agios or Saint Spyridon on the North of the island is an inlet for the Lake, there is a small bridge here that will take you to the area known as Nissos Island.

Antinioti Lagoon or Limnothalassa Antinioti - situated on the North of the island off the main road towards the coast in the region of Thinalion. At the far end of the main beach at Agios or Saint Spyridon on the North of the island is an inlet for the Lake, there is a small bridge here that will take you to the area known as Nissos Island.

The Esplanade or Spianada - Situated in old Corfu town is the large park area running between the town and the old fortress. The original meaning of the word esplanade was a large, open, level area outside a fortress or city walls to provide clear fields of fire for the fortress’ guns, these areas were kept clear to allow the soldiers to defend open areas outside of forts.

The Esplanade or Spianada - Situated in old Corfu town is the large park area running between the town and the old fortress. The original meaning of the word esplanade was a large, open, level area outside a fortress or city walls to provide clear fields of fire for the fortress’ guns, these areas were kept clear to allow the soldiers to defend open areas outside of forts.

Aqualand - Located in the heart of the Island, Aqualand is situated about 10km from Corfu town or around 12 to 15 minutes by car. The water themed park was built over a two year period starting in 1995.

Aqualand - Located in the heart of the Island, Aqualand is situated about 10km from Corfu town or around 12 to 15 minutes by car. The water themed park was built over a two year period starting in 1995.

Lazaretto Island - Situated two nautical miles from the East coast of Corfu. The island can be seen from along the port road and lies between the larger Island of Vidos and the peninsulas of kontokali and kommeno.

Lazaretto Island - Situated two nautical miles from the East coast of Corfu. The island can be seen from along the port road and lies between the larger Island of Vidos and the peninsulas of kontokali and kommeno.

Kaisers Bridge - Situated about 11km south of Corfu town on the main road just outside Benitses and around 20 minute drive by car. After 1907 when Kaiser Wilhelm II purchased the Achilleion palace he built a bridge at the bottom of the gardens to span the road and allow him easy access to the beach.

Kaisers Bridge - Situated about 11km south of Corfu town on the main road just outside Benitses and around 20 minute drive by car. After 1907 when Kaiser Wilhelm II purchased the Achilleion palace he built a bridge at the bottom of the gardens to span the road and allow him easy access to the beach.

Pinterest
Αναζήτηση