At the center of Thessaloniki, at the junction of Iasonidou avenue with Arrianou street, there is the church of Agios Panteleimon, the construction of which is placed in the late century.
The large and imposing church of Prophet Elias is located in Ano Polis of Thessaloniki, in a natural hill at the intersection of Olympia, John Varvakis and Prophet Elias streets. The building dates back to the second half of the 14th century and belongs to an architectural style unique in Thessaloniki, known as agioreitiko or athoniko, which was used exclusively for catholics (i.e. centralized churches) of monasteries.
In the northwestern part of Ano Poli of Thessaloniki, at the junction of Sachini, Ious and Tsamadou streets, there is an elegant church of the late Byzantine period, that of Agia Aikaterini, the construction of which is placed by the late 13th century until the first decades of the 14th century . This is a complex four-columned registered cruciform church with a closed arcade to the western, southern and northern side, which in the east ends in two symmetrical chapels
The church of Nea Panagia, formerly known as Megali or Trani Panagia, is dedicated to the Assumption of Panagia. It is located in the southeastern part of the center of Thessaloniki, near the sea, at the beginning of the road Dimitrios Gounaris and between Tsimiski and Metropolis streets. As evidenced by the marble inscription over the south entrance of the building, the temple was built in 1727
The Church of Ipapanti is situated at the center of the town at the junction of Egnatia street with Agapinou street, across the Arch and the Church of Panagia Deksia. At the same area, there was the known by patriarchal documents Monastery of mr.Ioel, which was dedicated to Panagia. This monastery was declared in the early 16th century as a metohi of the Monastery of Agia Anastasia of Halkidiki. I
The Bey Hamamı is located in the center of Thessaloniki, east of the church of Panagia Chalkeon, at the junction of Egnatia, Aristotelous and Metropolitan Gennadius streets. This is a great Ottoman bath, which - as we learn from Arabic inscription - was built in 1444 by Sultan Murad B’. The building, the first of its kind built in the city, just a few years after its conquest by the Turks (1430), was double, which means it was intended for both men and women.
The Church of Panagia Chalkeon, also known as “Red Church” possibly because of its wall construction mainly made of bricks, is situated in the southwest of the Roman Agora of Thessaloniki and in the north of Egnatia Street. It is the only surviving temple of the Middle Byzantine era. According to the found inscription of the marble lintel of its west entrance, it is estimated to have been built in 1028 A.D. by the protospatharios and governor of Loggovardia,
Gaius Galerius Valerius Maximilianus, simply known as Galerius, was born at around 250 A.D., near Serdika, today’s Sofia of Bulgaria. His parents were peasants while he used to be a shepherd in his youth, being, however, brave and disposing wittiness, he managed to overcome his humble descent and gain a successful career in roman army where he quickly climbed to the highest ranks.
The Church of Agios Nicolaos the Orphan (Orphanos) is situated in Ano Poli of Thessaloniki, at the end of Apostolou Pavlou Street, in the eastern side of Irodotou Street. It was founded in the second decade of the 14th century as a catholicon, from which only two columns and the entry porch still survive -apart from the catholicon. There are different versions concerning the identity of the founder of the
The church of Agios Minas is located in the southwest part of the center of Thessaloniki, near the sea and the port, at the intersection of King Herakleiou and Ionos Dragoumis streets. The oldest written reference to the church is found in the Life of Agios Gregorios of Decapolitou (first half of 9th century), but there are ...
The church of Agios Dimitrios in the center of Thessaloniki, in the homonymous street, is one of the greatest monuments of the city. Demetrius, son of an aristocratic family of Thessaloniki, a prominent Roman citizen and an officer of the Roman army had embraced Christianity and had developed strong catechetical activity. In 303 AD he was arrested, imprisoned in the basement apartment of a public bath and in the same place he was slaughtered.
The church of Panagia Gorgoepikoos, known as Panagouda, is located at the junction of Egnatia street with Paleon Patron Germanou street and it is dedicated to the Birth of Panagia. It belongs to an architectural type widespread in Macedonia during the Turkish domination, particularly in the 19th century, the one of three-naved basilica with a zenana.
At the junction of Egnatia street and Paleon Patron Germanos street, between the church of Panagia Gorgoepikoos and the Church of Ipapantis, is the small Church of Metamorphosis tou Sotiros, which belongs to a rare architectural style, the one of the registered tetra-niched: within the square in floor plan there are four semi-circular niches, one of which is the Holy Sanctuary’s arch, which is externally semi-hexagonal. On the west side of the building, there is ...